2020 Started Well…
Jan - Mar 2020
“I feel sorry for people who don’t drink” as the quote goes. I awoke quite hungover from the NYE Rave in The Ice Factory.
What nicer way to finish the year (and see the new year in) than with a rave?
I was back into work at The Webster Theatre for One Night of Queen (held over 2 nights due to popular demand) and Steve Steinman’s Vampires Rock.
I’ve had the usual joys of fixing stuff at AML - repairing a Betapack that had gone KABLAMMO, re-soldering DMX cables that were causing data errors, PAT-testing more hire stock, servicing hire stock, repairing lighting on-the-fly at events and taking arty photos for Instagram.
DUFC Awards Show
Audiowave supplied PA, truss, lecterns and lighting for the DUFC Academy Sports Awards Show, held in the Bonar Hall. The only lighting brief was: plenty of orange, no blue. Another happy client.
GIGGED Productions in association with Audiowave were asked to supply production services for a fashion show near St Andrews - organised by students in aid of a charity. We supplied a full PA system, lighting, truss, projection, drapes, DJ decks and stage. During derig, I noticed one of the PARcan flightcases was missing - it had in fact been commandeered by the bar staff…
During the first cue (pre-show music and lx blackout), a space-heater in the venue melted and pulled the circuit breaker for the phase shared with PA, mixing desk and the lighting laptop. The laptop battery kicked in, but Windows locked up. We reset breakers and switched to the Macintosh backup - nobody noticed, and actually thought the 1-2 minute delay was intentional to build suspense… I love when it works out like that.
The Absolute Jam & Ocean Colour Scheme
I honestly enjoyed being part of this gig last year (Spinal Tap Moment with the smoke machine aside), and I loved being part of it this year (Spinal Tap Moment with the hazer aside). The gig was aid of the Robert Murphy Charity Foundation and was held in Dobbie Hall, Larbert.
March of the Mods & A92 Vespa Club
Audiowave were involved in another charity gig - this time for March of the Mods hosted by The A92 Vespa Club in Chamber East in Dundee. We setup a similar lighting system to Dobbie Hall (minus the Sun Strips and hazer due to various restrictions) - wash bricks, moving heads and moving washes on the rear truss with RGB and RGBWA cans on the front T-bars. We also installed some RGB cans on the DJ booth - which we supplied along with the stage, backline and PA.
I got some time off during the DJ set at the end of the night, so I disappeared downstairs to Brew Dog for some Elvis Juice and Wake Up Call.
Hooring & Touring
As ever, I have been supporting local businesses (pubs) in my free time. More-so with the looming ban on pubs. Not only am I old enough to remember smoking in pubs, I can also remember drinking in them.
You may remember (but probably won’t) that I put together a Playlist For Life Pt1, but never released Pt2. I was going to compile a “Playlist for Life Pt 1 V2” after a discussion - and slight accusation of not being able to put together a Top 5 Bands (they change depending on my mood) - in Bergies Bar. But instead, here’s my Corona Charts Entry 1:
- I’m Still Standing - Elton John
- My Sharona - The Knack
- Come On Eileen - Dexy’s Midnight Runners
- Last Tango in Paris - Norman Candler
- Trying for Tomorrow - The Wyre
- Just A Day - Feeder
- Exodus - The Levellers
- What Kind of People Live in These Houses? - Morrissey
- A Final Hit - Leftfield
- Lock All The Doors - Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds
- Crazy - Seal
- Lost Reality - Dual Core
- This Too Shall Pass - OK GO
- Another day In Paradise - Phil Collins
- Land of Confusion - Genesis
- Livin’ On A Prayer - Bon Jovi
- The sky is fallin’ down - Walter Trout
- Antidote - Morcheeba
- Forget About Tomorrow - Feeder
- The Show Must Go On - Queen
- When The Curtain Falls - Greta Van Fleet
- Tubthumping - Chumbawamba
- Beginning of the End - Dual Core
- Don’t Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
- You Have Killed Me - Morrissey
- No Particular Place To Go - Chuck Berry
- Poison - Alice Cooper
- Closing Time - Semisonic
- The Partys Over - Prophets of Rage
- I Got the Fever - Oasis
- I Think I’m Paranoid - Garbage
- Insomnia - Feeder
- Help - Papa Roach
- It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - R.E.M.
- Things Can Only Get Better - Howard Jones
- Little By Little - Oasis
- Restless - Evil Nine
- Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode
- I’ve No More Fucks To Give - Thomas Benjamin Wild Esq
- Slide Away - Oasis
You can add me on Last.fm (link also below) if you don’t believe I actually listened to them all.
One More Thing…
In a bid to stave off the Cabin Fever, I’ve started making more YouTube videos. Feel free to follow & support me, suggest ideas for future videos etc.