January - April 2016
Hit The Ground Running
I enrolled for HTGR: a 2-day course supported by BECTU Vision aimed at people interested in working as a production runner for film & TV drama. I wondered if it would resemble watching a Charlie Brooker How To Work In TV special. It felt like I was back at college, yet again as one of the older students. We were introduced to each other, then paired off for the various discussion modules, challenges - including a scavenger hunt across Dundee - and tutorials covering scripts, technical instructions/production paperwork, basic radio and communication skills and on-site etiquette.
We had an in-depth CV workshop, a one-to-one CV feedback interview and 3 lectures from industry professionals. We had a bit of mingling time to discuss our individual/career interests (acting, writing, editing, animation, narration, designing, producing, filming) - I was interested in Foley and vision mixing. I left the course with a renewed eagerness to make a go of this, but with the warning from one of the professionals that I’d probably have to stick to this field (as opposed to crewing for lighting, then sound, then TV…) to be even moderately successful.
Woodlands Hotel Wedding
My mood was elevated when DJ Ross and I were asked to do a gay wedding at The Woodlands Hotel in Broughty Ferry.
We were also invited to a house party, a bit of work, a bit of fun.
The Clan Function Suite
Downfield FC Social Club
Not much to report. Amazingly refurbished venue. A small person jumped on one of my lights and broke it.
Needing a night out, I went to see Pond Floyd at Beat Generator Live! Dundee - having missed Stop The Clocks umpteen times. I can’t take credit for the lights, but again, they look like something I could reasonably aspire to doing with my kit. I might have had a few and bugged the lampie (for 30 seconds, after the gig had finished); partly to say thanks for such an amazing light show, and partly to get his number - which I put into my phone with a bonus digit. I have no idea which one.
The Clan Function Suite.
Again. This time it was JJs 60th.
Art For Art’s Sake
Our next pieces are by local artists Mitch and whoever spilt paint on the theatre workshop floor respectively.
Happy 5th Birthday
The Salty Dog became another year older.
Multinational home-wares outlets are not charities; please can we stop voting governments in who force people to work for free in these hellholes.
DJ Ross and I were asked to play a function disco in the Invergowrie Inn.
One More Thing…
Ever heard of a “Playlist For Life”? DD8 Music became part of the Beech House Dementia Unit initiative and will latterly be joining the Dementia Friendly Kirriemuir project where they use music as therapy to help combat the effects of Alzheimer’s. Basically, music can be used to trigger an emotional response (something those in advertising have known a long time) and revive memories or ideas embedded in the brain. DD8 Music are using the tactile sensory stimulation of the playback medium to improve the therapy.
The idea of PFL is to generate a playlist in iTunes (etc) of about 100 entries that help you relate to something meaningful, for use at a later time.
Playlist For Life Pt 1
- Universal Everything — Leftfield
- The Wizard — Paul Hardcastle
- River’s Rising — Joe Cocker
- I Want To Know What Love Is — Foreigner
- China Girl — David Bowie
- Ace Of Spades — Motörhead
- Song 2 — Blur
- Walk All Over You — AC/DC
- You Could Be Mine — Guns N’ Roses
- All You Need Is Me — Morrissey
- While My Wiki Gently Leaks — John Acquaviva & Olivier Giacomotto
- Comfortably Numb — The Australian Pink Floyd Show
- Sorrow — Pink Floyd
- Tinseltown In The Rain (Matt Mix) — The Blue Nile
- Fine Time — Cast
- No Particular Place To Go — Chuck Berry
- Never Enough — The Cure
- That Beat — Avrosse
- Trippin’ On Your Love — Primal Scream
- On My Mind — Ellie Goulding
- Science — FiniTribe
- The Eagle Has Landed — The Fiddlin’ Bens & Heavy Friends
- Be Mine — Ben Delay
- Mambo No. 5 — Lou Bega
- The Other Boys (feat. Kylie Minogue) — NERVO
- Rockhopper — Niteworks
- The Dying Of The Light — Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds
- Breadfan — Budgie
- Mixed Emotions (12" Version) — The Rolling Stones
- Hanging Around — The Stranglers
- T-Shirt Sun Tan — Stereophonics
- Raised On Rock — Scorpions
- Delorean Dynamite — Todd Terje
- No Tomorrow — Suede
- Out The Blue — Sub Focus
- Shut Up and Dance — Walk The Moon
- Club Tropicana — Wham!
- Trying For Tomorrow — The Wyre
- Minor Earth Major Sky — A-Ha
- Music Club — Chase & Status
- Ebeneezer Goode — The Shamen
- D’You Know What I Mean? — Oasis
- Coma Black — Marilyn Manson
- High Hopes — Pink Floyd
- Creamy Taco — Opiuo
- 80s Fitness (Reso Remix) — KOAN Sound
- Short Story — The Sellars Brothers Jazz Quintet
- Watch Your Back — Hanney
- Supersonic — Oasis
- Sledgehammer (Live) — Peter Gabriel
What am I doing?