A sound & lighting events tech aiming to keep active, involved and learning through work. Enjoy developing new skills and experiencing different roles. Have worked with a number of individuals, businesses and charitable organisations that will vouch for my hard working and diligent outlook.
Home maker 2007 - present
Experience as Tech Crew
- Webster Memorial Theatre: 2012 - present
- Worked with visiting theatrical companies and performers
- Assisted with load-in, get-out, sound & lighting, changeovers & props
- Liaised with senior production crew and touring technicians
- Operated a Follow-Spot during shows
- Salty Dog Dundee
- Plan, source and setup disco lighting year-round, as well as for Dundee Dance Event
- Assist DJ Ross with lighting and sound for functions, including those at The Clan Function Suite
- Stand-in DJ
- Occasional Tech Crew; assist with load-in, load-out, and occasionally mix the support act
- Also occasionally supply lighting
- Have worked at events including DARE!, Alba Real Ale Festival, Inchyra, Frankie Boyle at the Caird Hall, Live In The Den, Korova conspiracy, Roots…
- DD8 Music: 2010 - present
- Voluntary “Live Sound Engineer & Light Fairy”
- Operated light & sound equipment for gigs, discos, fundraisers and made them The Place To Be
- Had the opportunity to work with more experienced production technicians and mix bands on the back of a moving truck
- Supported projects (or was let loose with tons of speakers, lights and a genset in other words) in the local community including Kirrie Ska Fest, Paint The Wee Toon Red, Cancer Research UK: Kirriemuir Relay For Life, The Secret Policeman’s Ball, BonFest, Oxjam, Live In The Den and PITF, to name but a few.
- HebCelt Fest: 2009 - 2015
- Working Holiday two weeks per year at HCF in Stornoway
- Helped with staging, marquee and truss construction
- Applied my training to help setup the PA line array and Monitors, PAR cans/strobes/movers, as well as patching them into dimmers and hot power
- Operated projectors, cameras and vision mixers (with Keynote) for the screens and live recording
- Heids Up Knees Up, Mucky Mulligans: 2007
- First “gig”… worked for DM Audio as part of the tech crew
- First taste of location recording
Experience of location recording
- BonFest 2014
- I used my Mac with a direct USB feed from the Allen & Heath QU-24 desk into Logic Pro. Sadly, the performance was not captured in its entirety due to complications with the hard disk and the mains power - however there was enough material to adequately showcase the weekend festival.
- Clark’s on Lindsay Street Jazz Session: 2012
- Building on my location recording experience from Drouthy’s Basement, I went into Clark’s on Lindsay Street (Dundee) with my DAW & 8-track interface plus mics to record the Sunday Jazz Session. Having learned from the problems of the Drouthy’s Basement session, I was able to implement the “What I Would Do Next Time” techniques.
- Ricky Cocozza - Stanley Clarke: 2012
- As well as performing MON and FOH duties for an honours musician (on different desks at opposite ends of the auditorium), I was also responsible for multi-tracking the live performance, and mixing this down at a later stage. I used my M-Audio system to record the group stems from the FOH desk, which I then mixed down to a stereo MP3 for the client using Logic Pro.
- NOISE. Sonic Arts Installation: 2011
- NOISE was a collaborative effort between myself and two colleagues - for which we had to exhibit a sonic arts production at North Inch Community Campus. For this, I performed on-location binaural recordings which were then processed in my DAW. I then wrote a Windows application interface with which to showcase the interactive exhibit.
- The Sellars Brothers Jazz Quintet: 2010
- I used my knowledge of multiple-microphone arrangements and DAW software to carry out a live recording session for a client in a music pub. I was able to experiment with the Blumlein pair vs spaced pair & XY Pair vs Glyn Johns mic methods. To this day, the tracks are still remixed and to a better standard, based on my continuously evolving sound engineering skills.
- Live Sound Reinforcement
- FOH & MON mixing, crew work, flying, system tuning & maintenance
- Systems design & wiring, power distribution, knowledge of safe working practices
- Stage Lighting
- Rigging PAR cans & moving heads, focusing and DMX addressing/programming
- Can operate a Follow Spot and various Strand Lighting consoles
- Disco Lighting
- Transforming dull spaces into vivid light shows
- Use of LED spot, Tape & Flood in addition to traditional sequencers, scanners etc.
- Sound Production
- Analog & digital recording/mixing/mastering, varied microphone techniques
- Re-amping, re-triggering, convolution reverbs and acoustic effects
- In-the-box mixing, location recording, Foley design, video editing, web programming
- Mixing with Cubase & Logic and DJing with Mixxx
- System hardware, system prediction & management software.
- Multi-platform and multi-coding with client and server-side languages.
- Music: live, local, recorded, traditional, modern, mixed, remixed…
- Lights: LED, PARs, strobes, lasers, floods, spots, fairy lights…
- Snooker, light-bulb painting, logic puzzles & real ale…
Why Hire Me?
I love lights and am ardent about audio.
Work helps me learn. Learning helps me work.