Homemaker 2007 - present
Experience as Tech Crew
- Webster Memorial Theatre: November 2012 - Present
- My main duties are operating a Follow Spot and as a Tech Crew member assisting with sound, AV, pyro, props & lighting requirements on everything from Rock ‘n’ Roll to Panto. I work alone and as part of a team to assist visiting production companies and performers with any technical requirements they may have (including load-ins, stage setup, light plotting, load-outs etc).
- Kirrie Ska Fest: 2011 & 2012
- As part of my voluntary work with DD8 Music, I was involved in this annual music festival as one half of the tech crew and one seventh of the road crew. I worked alongside PA hire company audioWAVE and other DD8 Music members to carry out the get-in, set up the PA system and help with the load-out in the early hours. Needless to say, a lot of team work goes into ensuring that this event can be a success for years to come.
- Heb Celt Fest: 2009 - 2012
- For the last four years (and counting!) I have volunteered at the Hebridean Celtic Festival in Stornoway. My responsibilities included assisting with stage building and construction, rigging the main stage trussing, assembling & connecting the front of house line array system and connecting/DMXing & safetying the moving heads, par cans, strobes, lasers and dimmers. I also operated one of the on-stage video cameras and the multi camera vision mixer in addition to the on-screen announcement projections on alternate nights.
- Bon Scott Fest 2012 - 2013
- At this annual AC/DC tribute festival, I volunteered as Tech Crew for audioWAVE PA Hire and J Hawke Lighting alongside my colleagues at DD8 Music to put on a weekend-long show in Kirriemuir Town Hall - as well as smaller venues around the town. I was there to help with the “Lift n Shift” and system tech work. It was also down to me to install a vocal PA into Buddies nightclub for a late-night event after the main show.
- Howie’s Album Launch, Fat Sams: 2011
- At this one-off event, I was a member of the Tech Crew for AudioWAVE PA hire. We loaded a D&B Audiotechnik C7 system with B2 subs into Fat Sams nightclub - the bass made my hair and clothing groove-out from 20 meters away.
- Oxjam Dundee: 2011
- I volunteered as a Tech Crew member to assist with the load-in and load-out for this annual charity event. For this event we used a JBL SRX system and an Allen & Heath GL3300.
- Live in the Den: 2010, 2012
- At this annual local event, my duties included assisting with load-in & load-out, as well as changeovers. At the after-party at a smaller outdoor location, I operated sound and implemented stage/disco lighting powered by an onsite portable generator.
- Heids Up Knees Up, Mucky Mulligans: 2007
- This was my first ever “gig”… I was working with DM Audio’s engineer Paul Dent (who now freelances at PMD Sound) as part of the crew, system tech and as “the guy that recorded the gig”. This event served as my introduction to live recording, delay stacks and many many more weird and wonderful things…
Experience as a live engineer
- DD8 Music Live Events: 2010 - present
- I am the resident “Live Sound Guy” and live event committee member with DD8 Music - It’s my job to load a PA into pubs/clubs and open-air venues, connect everything up, configure the mains supply, test said mains supply, soundcheck and run the FOH and MONS for local community events.
- Relay for life, Kirriemuir: 2011
- At this biennial charity fundraising event, we (DD8 Music) installed a multi-use PA system for this outdoor event. I was responsible for running front-of-house and monitors for rock bands, acoustic acts, DJs, karaoke, speeches and general playback all day and throughout the night.
Experience of location recording
- Clark’s on Lindsay Street Jazz Session: 2012
- Building on my location recording experience from Drouthy’s Basement, I went into Clark’s on Lindsay Street (Dundee) with my DAW & 8-track interface to record the Sunday Jazz Session. I took microphones, stands and cables as well - I assumed you would assume that I did. Having learned from the Drouthy’s Basement session what didn’t work as well as was planned, I was able to implement the “What I Would Do Next Time” techniques. These included swapping the foremost condenser microphones (C 414s) for dynamic ones (SM 57s). As of writing this, the project is still in the mixdown stage…
- Ricky Cocozza - Stanley Clarke: 2012
- As well as performing MON and FOH duties for an honours musician (on different desks at opposite ends of the auditorium), I was also responsible for multi-tracking the live performance, and mixing this down at a later stage. I used my M-Audio system to record the group stems from the FOH desk (Soundcraft MH2), which I then mixed down to a stereo MP3 for the client using Logic Pro.
- NOISE. Sonic Arts Installation: 2011
- NOISE was a collaborative effort between myself and two colleagues - for which we had to exhibit a sonic arts production at North Inch Community Campus. For this, I performed binaural location recordings which were then processed in my DAW. I then used my computer coding skills to design an application interface with which to showcase the interactive exhibit.
- The Sellars Brothers Jazz Quintet: 2010
- I used my knowledge of multiple-microphone arrangements and DAW software to carry out a live recording session for a client in a music pub. I was able to experiment with the Blumlein pair vs spaced pair & XY Pair vs Glyn Johns mic methods. As of 2012, the tracks are being remixed and re-mastered to a better standard, based on my continuously evolving sound engineering skills.
- Audio Engineering BSc
- Sound Engineering HNC & HND
- Physics, English & Computing A Levels
- Maths & Technological Studies O Levels
- Live Sound Reinforcement
- FOH & MON mixing, crewing, flying, system tuning & maintenance
- Systems design & wiring, power distribution, knowledge of safe working procedures
- Stage Lighting
- Knowledge of safely rigging PAR cans & moving heads, focusing and DMX addressing/programming
- Specialism in operating Strand Lighting consoles
- Studio Production
- Analog & digital recording/mixing/mastering, varied microphone techniques
- Re-amping, re-triggering, convoluting reverbs and acoustic effects
- In-the-box mixing, location recording, foley design, video editing, web design
- Mixing with Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic & Reason
- Ability to understand schematics and repair audio equipment (e.g. outboard)
- Competent at fitting motherboards, PSUs, adapter cards, IO boards etc…
- Familiarity with system management software (e.g. DCX2496 control) and speaker prediction software (e.g. EaseFocus)
- Usage of Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac and Linux distributions including Ubuntu Studio.
- General Qualities
- I am a technically-focused problem solver and can function as part of a cohesive team.
- I conduct myself in a serious yet friendly manner.
- I have an intense passion for my specialisms and attention to detail.
- Music: live, recorded, traditional, modern, mixed, remixed…
- Lights, website programming, electronic circuitry, computers & photography
- Snooker, glass painting, word games, logic puzzles, whiskey & real ale
Why Hire Me?
I possess an inquisitive mind.
I love lights and am ardent about audio.
I am keen to explore sound & lighting further in order to keep on learning.